Monday, June 18, 2012

170/366 (2012): Cattail Punks

On the 4th of July, my cousin and I used to light cattails and pretend we had giant 'punks'.  

These plants are edible and were used by Native Americans not just for cooking but for many things, including stuffing material for shoes, beds and pillows. 

I found several cattail recipes on-line and am sharing the casserole recipe here. I found it at Cattails Info. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out. I think my family would freak if I made them this for dinner. By the way, cattails are high in Vitamin K, Manganese and Magnesium and also are a decent source of Vitamin B6.


Cattail Casserole
3 cups cattail flowerbuds, scraped off the “cobs” (about 40 flowerheads)
1 egg
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ cup milk
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
1 cup grated cheese

1. Cook cattail flowerheads in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
2. Scrape the flowerbuds off the cob to make 3 cups.
3. Beat egg together with spices, milk and breadcrumbs.
4. Combine cattail flowers with the egg mixture.
5. In a greased bread pan or small casserole dish, spread half of cattail mixture on the bottom.
6. Add half of the grated cheese, spread the rest of the cattail mixture over, and top with the rest of the grated cheese.
7. Bake at 350° until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love the 365 project. It allows me the opportunity to be creative every day for a year.